L.Ac, Thai Massage Therapist
Beth Griffing is a Licensed Acupuncturist and Chinese Herbal Medicine provider in Portland, Oregon. She gained her Master’s in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (MAOM) in 2011, after four years of study including extensive training in Chinese Herbal Medicine, at the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine. She focused on the Japanese bodywork practice of Zen Shiatsu as part of her MAOM degree as well, followed by Thai Traditional Massage training at the Wat Pho Chetawon School of Medicine, Bangkok, in early 2012.
She was led to all of this study via a degree in Cultural Anthropology from Reed College in 2006, studying the intersections of nature, health, and community. This study revealed the yearning for balance and connection to nature that exists consciously or subconsciously in us as humans. Beth found that this connection can be directly supported by sophisticated medicine such as acupuncture and advanced herbal medicine prescription, while providing a shortcut to a healthy body along the way.
Beth uses external herbal treatments in her acupuncture practice, allying Thai herbal poultice massage with Traditional Chinese Medicine theory. She is an avid proponent of herbal foot soaks, steams, balms, serums, and more, and is constantly astounded at the depth of knowledge packed into each traditional herbal formulation, whether it be Chinese, Thai or many others in origin.
Beth believes we are here to preserve and honor each others’ traditions, and to treat each tool with the highest level of respect.
Beth has been utilizing Gua Sha clinically for over five years and is constantly inspired by the many aspects of healing opened up by facial and body gua sha massage, as well as by Thai Herbal Poultice Massage.
Ultimately, Beth is honored to assist in leading health professionals to the melding of the art of healing touch and the science of advanced herbal combination verified by pharmacological testing and contextualized by traditional practice.
- Masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Oregon College of Oriental Medicine, Portland, OR
- Bachelor of Arts in Cultural Anthropology, Reed College, Portland, OR
Continuing Education and Specialties:
- Study of Advanced Shiatsu with Susan Hare, Portland, 2010-11
- Certification for Thai Traditional Massage, Wat Pho School of Medicine, Bangkok, March 2012
- Society for Acupuncture Research Conference, University of Michigan, April 2013
- Teaching Assistant at Oregon College of Oriental Medicine for Living Anatomy, Advanced Acupuncture, and Structural Diagnosis, 2013-2014
- Thai Herbal Poultice Facial Massage at Beauty Secrets with Cecily Braden, 2014
- Certified Nefeli Gua Sha Educator Training at Beauty Secrets with Dr. Ping Zhang, Feb 2016